Lokum fest-music & tradition
Lokum fest-music tradition is authentic cultural and tourist event which has existed since 2007. Founder and organizer of the festival is the Association of Citizens – Center for Cultural Decontamination Bitola. This organization is also the holder of copyright and rights of industrial property for this event (TM 2010/883, TM2010/926, TM337/2010, TM2010/926, TM2010/883).
The festival is held every year in mid-July in the heart of the old Turkish bazaar in Bitola, Bitola supported within the Bitola Cultural Summer “Bit Fest“.
Lokum fest celebrates the traditions of the glorious past of the city of Bitola (Monastery) at the time of the Ottoman Empire when the city experienced the greatest growth and importance and is known as the city of consuls, and the old Turkish bazaar important place of events, meetings and experiences …
Multiculturalism and tolerance between different ethnic groups inherent in the Ottoman period is expressed through customs among people, especially those between (charsija) artisans. As such custom symbol of openness and multicultural bazaar is the custom with locum and coffee are common neighbor and wisher. Especially this tradition, we took LOKUM, as synonym for “meeting” between different cultures and ethnicities … custom that unites today.
Concept of the festival
The Festival has authentic concept consisting of:
- Musical Part čalgija, Balkan ethno music and world music.
- Exposure of artifacts from Macedonia, the Balkans and the world (works inspired by folk tradition).
- Exhibition of old objects, photographs, clothing, furniture, legends for the period from 19 to 20 Century.
- Workshops on cultural heritage
- Small Business Fair (presentations of companies and products from Macedonia and abroad).
The objectives of the festival are:
- Revival and protection of old Bitola Bazaar as a cultural – historical monument of the Ottoman period with extremely important part of the collective memory of many generations.
- Promote traditional urban values through music, crafts, exhibitions, poetry and more.
- Development of cultural tourism and animation as many visitors in the old Bitola Bazaar
- Networking with other cities with old bazaars and development of traditional crafts and business initiatives.
Lokum fest-music tradition is known for its exceptional music program. For it occurred most ethnic names from home and abroad such as Monistra, Rudoyna, String Forces, Baklava, Ibrahim Genghis trio, Chalgija Sound System, Bjonko Copenhagen Calgija, Vanja Lazarova, King Velinov and Original Kocani Orkesta, Nikolai Trio – Bulgaria, Raspeani Krusevcani, Boemi, Jakov Drenkovski, Massar Egbary Band – Egypt, Ljubojna, Orient Express Calgija, Tony Kitanovski and Cerkezi Orchestra, Damari Calgija Orchestra, Kolektif Istanbul, Orthodox Celts, Ofir, Starowski Band…
Press clipping 2014
Press clipping 2013
Press clipping 2012